Exercise bikes replicate the experience of riding a bike outside without the rider ever having to leave the comfort of their own house or fitness centre. Cardiovascular fitness, fat loss, and muscle gain in the legs and glutes can all be achieved through regular exercise cycle sessions.
Please keep reading below as we share some great tips and tricks to help you fully maximise your exercise bike workouts.
What Are The Main Benefits of Exercise Bikes?
The main benefits of exercise bike workouts include:
- Lower impact on joints than running or other high-impact exercises
- Can be done indoors, making them accessible year-round
- Customisable resistance and intensity levels to fit individual fitness levels
- Effective for weight loss and improving overall health
Tips For Maximising Your Exercise Bike Workouts
Comfort and efficiency on your exercise bike depend on how you set it up. This is the correct way to position your bike:
- If you want your leg to be nearly completely extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, you need to raise the seat.
- Change the height of the seat so that you can easily reach the handles.
- Adjust the height of the handlebars until they are parallel to the saddle.
Fitness Routines: Warming Up And Cooling Down
Make sure you spend at least 5-10 minutes warming up with light pedalling and stretching before beginning your exercise. Doing so will protect you from harm and get your body ready for exercise. Spend an additional 5-10 minutes cooling down with slower pedalling and stretching after your exercise to aid in muscle soreness reduction and speed up your road to recovery.
Use Resistance And Interval Training
Using resistance and interval training can make your workout more challenging and help you achieve better results. Here’s how to incorporate them into your exercise bike workouts:
- Use higher resistance levels to build strength and endurance
- Alternate between high-intensity intervals and lower-intensity recovery periods for a more challenging workout
- Experiment with different interval lengths and resistance levels to keep your workouts varied and interesting
Track Your Progress
Tracking your progress can help you stay motivated and see improvements in your fitness level over time. Here are a few ways to track your progress:
- Keep a workout log to track the duration, distance, and intensity of each workout
- Use an app or wearable fitness tracker to track your heart rate, calories burned, and other metrics
- Set goals and monitor your progress towards them, such as increasing your workout duration or resistance level
Tricks For Better Results On The Exercise Bike
Quickly increase your calorie burn and cardiovascular fitness through High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). HIIT is a fantastic method to spend a limited amount of time working out. Follow these steps to integrate high-intensity interval training into your stationary bike routines:
- Ride slowly for 5-10 minutes to get warmed up.
- Raise the bar to a difficult height.
- for 20-30 seconds, pedal as quickly as you can.
- Take it easy for a minute or two and cycle slowly to regain strength.
- For 15-20 minutes, repeat the high-intensity interval followed by the recovery time.
Switch Up Your Routines
Changing up your routine can help keep your exercises from becoming monotonous and help you avoid reaching a fitness plateau. If you’re looking to mix up your fitness routine on the exercise bike, try these tips:
- Try out varying the amount of resistance you use and the duration of time between sets.
- Hill climbs and sprints are just two examples of exercise variations you can try.
- Alternate your cardio or strength training with something new to keep things interesting and difficult.
Incorporate Upper Body Exercises
While exercise bikes primarily work the lower body, you can also incorporate upper body exercises to work your arms, shoulders, and core. Here are a few exercises to try:
- Alternating arm curls: While pedalling, hold light dumbbells and alternate curling each arm towards your shoulder
- Shoulder press: While pedalling, hold light dumbbells and lift both arms straight up overhead
- Plank: After your workout, get off the bike and hold a plank position for 30-60 seconds to work your core muscles
By following these tips and tricks, you can maximise your exercise bike workouts and achieve better results. Remember to vary your workouts, track your progress, and most importantly, have fun! With dedication and consistency, you can achieve your fitness goals and enjoy the many benefits of exercise bike workouts.
Buy Your Exercise Bike From Fitness Equipment Warehouse!
Fitness Equipment Warehouse carries a broad selection of premium exercise bikes to accommodate all fitness needs and tastes. For assistance in selecting the ideal exercise bike for your home gym, our knowledgeable team is always available. To begin your fitness journey, get in touch with us today!