You’ve just bought your treadmill and gotten to grips with how to use this exercise tool safely. Now you’re wondering, “What are the most effective treadmill exercises that can help me lose weight while improving my cardio?” In this article, we’ll explore some of the most effective treadmill training exercises you can try, whether at home or the gym. Keep reading to learn more!
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) – A Calorie Burning Workout
HIIT workouts are effective in burning calories and reducing body fat in a short time. They involve working extremely hard within a short period and having a resting period between high-intensity exercises, which help burn many calories. After the workout, your body burns fat as it tries to return your body to a normal resting state.
An example of a HIIT workout that you can do on the treadmill is:
- Warm for 5 minutes at a walking pace and flat inclination.
- Set the inclination at 1% and run at 10 mph for 30 seconds.
- Walk at 4 mph for 1 minute.
- Repeat the running and walking cycle another 10 to 15 times.
- Cool down by walking for 5 minutes.
You can augment the exercises by incorporating jogging rather than walking and increasing the high-intensity workouts period to get a more intense exercise.
Endurance-building exercises focus on pushing your endurance from your steady state. To this end, it involves running a few miles per hour faster than your steady pace for a few minutes. Keep in mind that the longer you can run faster than your regular pace, the more endurance you can build up in your body.
An example of an endurance exercise that you can do on the treadmill is this:
- Start with a 5-minute warm-up walk, job, or both.
- After the warm-up, run at your steady pace for 1 minute.
- Increase your running pace by 2 mph above the steady pace for 1 minute
- Return to your stead running speed for 1 minute
- Increase your running pace by 2 mph above the steady pace for 2 minutes
- Return to your stead running pace for 2 minutes
- Increase your running pace by 2 mph above the steady pace for 3 minutes
- Return to your stead running pace for 3 minutes
Repeat the three-minute steady pace followed by the above-steady pace cycle as many times as possible. Focus on breathing while exercising. Finish the exercise routine with a 5-minute cool-down walk.
Treadmill Hill Workout – A Strength-Building Workout
The treadmill hill workout is an effective backside and hamstring trainer. The exercise involves a progressive increase in inclination as time passes while keeping the speed more or less constant over 30 to 40 minutes. Generally, you should match your treadmill’s speed with your fitness level. However, a 3.5 mph to 4 mph speed is advisable.
- Warm up for five minutes by jogging on your treadmill for 5 minutes at 3 mph at an inclination of 2%.
- Once you’ve warmed up, set the speed limit between 3 to 4 mph. Additionally, increase the inclination levels from 2% to between 5% and 12%. The steeper the inclination, the more calories you burn.
- Keep running for forty minutes, ensuring you maintain a constant rhythm during the entire exercise.
Side Stepping Workout
The side-stepping treadmill workout is effective at exercising your quads and glutes. It combines walking and running with side shuffles. As such, you also benefit your cardiovascular system. An example of such a workout is:
- Warm up for 4 to 5 minutes with the treadmill inclination set at 1%. Walk at an easy pace for 1 minute, then jog for the rest of the warm-up period.
- After warming up, slow down to a walking pace. Grab the side handles, turn your body to the side, and get into a squat position. Side shuffle your feet for 30 seconds, ensuring you do not cross any foot over the other. Return to the forward walking position and walk for 30 seconds.
- Jog for 2 minutes after carrying out the shuffle for 30 seconds on the other side. Repeat this cycle for 20 minutes.
- Finish the exercise with a cool-down walk for about 5 minutes.
A treadmill can help you work out more than just your cardiovascular system. You can use the treadmill to lose weight and work out specific parts of your body while improving your cardio. If you are looking for high-quality treadmills or would like to learn more about this popular workout equipment, contact the Fitness Equipment Warehouse today.
Please call us today at (08) 9455 2810 or leave an enquiry.